A management and technical professional with over 22 years experience in architecture and systems engineering. Experience in establishing business processes to improve efficiencies and bottom line results in highly competitive environments. Expertise in building critical business relationships with technical teams, operations teams, and vendors. Knowledge and experience in designing new technology implementations and ensuring that modifications to the operational environment are consistent with corporate initiatives and standards. Architect of enterprise solutions for VoIP services, network and systems security, infrastructure monitoring and customer services, and other UNIX and Windows technologies.
Cisco Systems, Inc Boxborough, MA
April 2007 through Present
Northeast Financial and Retail, Systems Engineer III
Member of the financial services sales team, evangelizing Cisco’s solutions, architectures and products to perspective customers and partners.
Smith and Nephew – Endoscopy Division, Andover, MA
May 2003 through April 2007
Global Technical Services, Enterprise Architect
Architect, designer, and developer for enterprise solutions; supporting enterprise computing. Council management teams on technology direction and limitations. Project managed, designed and implemented:
– Global Systems Management Server, supporting domestic and international computing resources.
– Enterprise IP Call Center using Cisco’s IPCC replacing the Ayava call center supporting both domestic and international call centers.
– Desktop Security solution, using the Cisco Security Agent.
– Redesigned perimeter security architecture, using “Best Practices”.
– Global Wireless access, supporting employees and guest access.
– MPLS network implementation.
– Project managed tactical projects for implementation of IP Call Center, Sales VM replacement, IP phone replacement at HQ, UK Data Centre, European Data Centre, and Co-lo Centre for Business Continuity.
Global Technical Services, Senior Systems Architect
Architect, designer, and developer for enterprise wide systems; supporting manufacturing and financial. Designed and deployed:
– Active Directory, included migration from 6 NT 4 domains to one single forest root domain.
– Developing AntiVirus infrastructure to support the 2000 end user systems.
– Network IDS system across the 5 locations using SNORT.
– Network Authentication method for Wireless and remote access to Corporate network.
– Exchange 2003 migration from Exchange 5.5
– Enterprise Wide Naming Services (External DNS, Internal DNS, DHCP and WINS)
– Cisco Call Manager corporate wide, including international locations.
– Cisco Unity replacing the existing Ayava system.
– System and Network monitoring using both freeware tools and BMC.
– Virtual computing environment to support 10 development sandbox areas.
– Software deployment environment to rollout all corporate approved software and applications.
Lead the team to develop network and server security and “Best Practice” policies for all computing environments.
Redesigned network server architecture; combining application server functionalities, implementing server upgrades, and removing redundancies that reduced operating costs by 40%. Designed and Implemented improvements to three (3) Data Centre locations for computing, network, power distribution and air conditioning.
Level 3 Communications/Genuity/GTE Internetworking/BBN, Woburn, MA
October 1998 through May 2003
Operations Architecture Team, Senior Systems Architect – July 2001 through Present
Architect, designer, and developer for infrastructure systems intrinsic to multiple lines of business product offerings. Designed and deployed:
– VoIP Calling Card service for corporate carrier class environment.
– COMIT application environment, supporting all network and service elements for the VoIP network.
– SS7 infrastructure using Cisco (ThunderVoice) MGC to support the VoIP line of business, reducing infrastructure maintenance costs by 25%.
– Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) proxy environment to replace the H323 protocol for VoIP customer support, resulting in a reduction in customer support costs and overall customer savings.
– Combined timesharing environment, supporting 800+ users running applications ranging from Email to monitoring tools.
– Data Warehousing environment using Oracle, with up to three Terabytes data updated daily, generating $3M dollars sales.
Team lead for the development of infrastructure network support security policies for application servers and client workstations.
Redesigned network server architecture; combining application server functionalities, implementing server upgrades, and removing redundancies that reduced operating costs by 30%.
Operations Engineering Team, Senior Engineer – January 2000 through July 2001
Design team engineer, developing business-critical architectures for:
– Requirements, specifications, and design of Genuity’s 120-seat Network Operations Center and associated Data Center.
– A six Terabyte Storage Area Network environment for all infrastructure and customer backup services supporting $20M in annual revenue.
– A Tivoli framework for hardware and software monitoring, account management, and software deployment on the customer and infrastructure networks to support multiple lines of business accounts.
– A SYSLOG-based monitoring environment to support 6000+ customer and infrastructure network elements, logging and reporting service-impacting events to the NOC.
To support the growing needs of 10 business units, led the Engineering team to define, design, and deploy a new infrastructure Data Center network, including LAN, WAN, and firewall services.
Team lead for VoIP product deployment and support.
Technical Operations, Supervisor – October 1998 through December 1999
Built the technical operations team that developed and supported the company’s VoIP product line.
– Hired, trained, and managed a staff of five technical employees to design and deploy VoIP infrastructure equipment in ten domestic and international locations, including 800 VoIP gateways and 1000 PRI/CAS/IMT PSTN circuits.
– Collaborated with product engineering implementing IP FAX, Internet Call Manager, and the converged Email, voice, and FAX platform ‘Unified Messaging’.
Designed and deployed a billing collections system for the VoIP business line, resulting in significant cost savings and increased bill collection efficiencies. This environment included deploying a central server to interface to the company billing service, and collection servers in all field PoPs.
Developed a routing infrastructure for routing calls to the least-cost vendor, providing substantial in-house savings.
Digital Equipment Corporation, Salem, NH
January 1985 through October 1998
System and Network Consultant, November 1993 through October 1998
Technical consultant for all network and systems solutions for Digital’s Internet Management Center, generating $15M revenue supporting outsourcing customer accounts.
– Administered World Wide Web, firewall, and mail gateways to the Internet Management Center.
– Administered Digital UNIX, OSF/1 UNIX, Windows NT, Linux, and OpenVMS operating systems.
Project and team leader responsible for all communications and deliverables to the customer.
Developed and supported customized automation tools for monitoring all critical processes, including network and production servers.
Principal System Specialist, January 1991 through October 1993
Supported business-critical VAX/UNIX/PC/Network environment, developing automation tools for lights-out computing; including production, network, and hardware monitoring.
Developed and implemented backup strategies that resulted in a cost savings of $500,000 per year.
Project manager for the Salem Data Center Operating Cost Model, reducing Data Center operating costs by 20%.
Team lead for seven System Managers, responsible for employee training and senior-level technical support.
Senior Systems and Telecommunication Manager, January 1990 through December 1990
Providing sales and customer support with hardware and software support for VMS and UNIX environments. Responsibilities included; LAN and network management, customer presentations, project management, budget forecasting, equipment and performance tuning, capacity planning, phone and application support.
Additional positions held at Digital Equipment Corporation from January 1985 through December 1989:
– Senior District Engineer, Customer Services Engineer IV
– Account Representative, Field Service Engineer III
Hardware, Software, and Operating Systems: Digital, Dell, Compaq, HP, Cisco, SUN, IBM, Clariion, Netapp. Oracle, Microsoft SQL, SYBASE. UNIX (Digital, Solaris, HP), LINUX (Red Hat, Mandrake), Windows (95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, 2003), Digital VMS (Clusters and Standalone), Cisco IOS, Checkpoint FW1, Avvid (Cisco Call Manager), IP Contact Center (Cisco Call Center), SMS.
Subjects: Network and Systems Security, OS Management, XaCCT, Legato, NetBackup, FreeRadius, Wireless LAN Networks, POP, IMAP, SMTP (Sendmail and Postfix), Netscape (Server and Proxy), Apache, Tomcat, Voice over IP, Exchange, NFS, NIS, LDAP, Perl, Python, C++, csh, sh.
Shawsheen Valley Regional Technical High School, Billerica, MA – 1979 through 1983: Graduated with honors in Computer Technology and Digital Electronics.
University of Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ – 2007 through present: Information Technology and Business Program.
References available upon request.